First week of research

This blog post is courtesy of Shaunna…

We are halfway through my first week here in Hawaii and it is such a beautiful place to be. I can’t say that it is the typical island scenery that one would think; where everyone lays on the beach drinking piña coladas, but it certainly does have that ‘island’ feel everywhere you go. The water and beaches here are absolutely beautiful and definitely unlike anything I have ever seen. The people here are quite friendly, especially the few that I have the pleasure to work with here in Alison Sherwood’s lab at the University of Hawaii. The goal of our research this summer is to examine physiological responses of the green alga Cladophora to varying salinities. This particular type of algae is found all over the world and here in Hawaii can be found in both freshwater and marine environments. Most of my work this first week has included brushing up on lab protocols and getting familiarized with some of the work that I will be doing in the weeks to come. Before starting our experiment full swing Dr. Carlile and I had to research past papers that would give us insight into experimental design to study salt stress on Cladophora. So far we have a ‘mini-test experiment’ helping us to decide what kind of salinity range we should expose our algae to during the experiment, or if bubbling their water shows any significance in their ‘testing environment’. It definitely feels great to get the ball rolling on this project that we have been talking about for a few months now…and being in Hawaii is the icing on the cake.

Shaunna collecting Cladophora in Manoa Stream