I’M HAVING A FANTASTIC TIME AT UNH!

The spring trimester started on April 1st and is now in full swing. So much is happening on-campus (or “OC” as I like to call it) that I can’t keep up. Things are particularly jumping at ChargerRec. Hats off to the students who run it. The place is clean, organized, and well maintained. The rules for appropriate gym wear are enforced. And there are special activities galore. In addition to the classes on Zumba, spinning, and core, there are serious and fun competitions and quirky events in the evenings. Plus, we just got in five new Life Fitness machines (two recline bikes and three uprights) – all fully compatible with mobile devices and with Internet capability ― a state-of-the-art feature promised in the coming months. I’m in love with the Courses feature that is new on the bikes. Courses is a simulation of Tour de France and it’s like you are really biking through (gasp!) France.

While the trimester is underway, we in taxation are not back yet. Our schedule is different (it has to be) to accommodate the tax season, which ends this Monday. Thankfully. It’s been a tough twelve weeks: the fiscal cliff; the late enactment of tax laws; the IRS opening two weeks late; the unavailability of needed forms; the software miscues between the IRS and professional tax offices; and the utter fiasco of delayed processing of the education credits. And, that’s just at the federal level. There were various filing snags at many state levels too.

But, that’s enough negativity. Let’s walk away from the dark side…

…To the bright side, I got to do an info spot for the university radio, WUNH. It was pure pleasure and I can’t thank Bryan Lane (the station manager) and his staff of gifted, motivated students enough. Plus, I got to do a Table Talk presentation for Milva McGhee (the GSC advisor). Of course, my presentation focused on taxation and the taxation of international students in particular. I worked with them on their tax issues by hand-preparing 1040NRs. In the process, I learned a lot about their culture and traditions as well as the various VISA categories and work limitations for them. UNH is all about that. The University excels at classroom learning coupled with experience by actually doing the job.

On Wednesday, I start Advanced Corporations (aka Corps II) with Professor Goldberg. In order to qualify for financial assistance, I must have at least five (5) credits so I’m doing my research project this trimester as well. The working title of my paper is “The Superior Trading cases: The Death of DAD and Other Abusive Tax Shelters.” It’s gonna be a real page-turner with plenty of sex. No. Seriously, I have really warmed to the subject as I am fascinated by the inner workings of tax shelters. I’m amazed at how the Code ― particularly Subpart K for partnerships ― can be twisted. I finished my proposal and the outline on Saturday. Now, I await the necessary approval of my advisors, Professors Wnek and Puglia.

After that marathon of preparing my proposal, I wanted some time off. I just got back from a short tour of Newport, Rhode Island. It was a day bus trip sponsored by the Evening Student Council (ESC) at UNH. The bus left New Haven at about 8:30a.m. and we got back at about 6:30p.m. For a small fee, we got tickets to visit three of the old mansions (including, The Breakers which is simply indescribable) and the opportunity to do a walking tour of the town. We lunched at The Red Parrot. Check out the pics. I’m the chick in black sweats.

Like I said, I’m having a fantastic time at UNH!

At Newport

At Newport

The Elms Mansion

The Elms Mansion

That's me!

That’s me!

Breakers Mansion

Breakers Mansion

Newport, RI

Newport, RI