Diving Right in at Dolphin Cove – Alexandra Bakerman

As Alexandra enters her fourth week at Dolphin Cove, she looks back at how quickly she transitioned into her internship and highlights what she’s already learned from this experience.

I have been interning at Dolphin Cove for three weeks already! The time has flown by, and I have already learned so much in such a short time. My first day was an orientation, where my Intern Coordinator showed us around the facility. This helped make the transition an easy one. The following day was my first official day of interning, where I met more of the trainers and all eight of the dolphins. I was very excited to jump right into the daily activities of Dolphin Cove. Everyone was very helpful and answered any questions that I had.

dolphin coveWorking with animals means that no two days are alike. Most of my days are very fast-paced, because a lot of things have to get done in short amounts of time. During swim sessions, everything becomes quite loud, due to the excitement from people seeing the dolphins. The trainers get very excited as well, and their whistles can be heard from across the facility. Everything quiets down in between swim sessions, which is a good chance for the interns to catch up on cleaning buckets or buoyancy vests.

People from all across the world come to Dolphin Cove, so I have had the opportunity to meet people from many different cultures. I give educational briefings to the guests prior to their swim, to give them more information about the dolphins and the facility. During this time, I have realized just how friendly all of the guests are. Everyone always has great questions for me, and I love when people learn new things from my briefings.

Just in these first few weeks, this internship has proven to me that I am in the right field. I could never imagine myself sitting in an office all day. I love being outside in the sun and by the water. I would love to work at Dolphin Cove in the future. I like that the dolphins are not housed in tanks, but in natural waters in the Florida Bay. The facility is enclosed by chain link fences that reach the sea floor, but allow for tidal exchange to flow through the lagoon. This gives the dolphins the ability to hunt and catch prey on their own, which I think is unique. I also love the atmosphere, and how I am excited to wake up every morning. I am certainly looking forward to the next few weeks as well!

Be sure to check back next Monday afternoon to read more about Alexandra’s internship experience!