Getting Hands-On Experience with Naugatuck PD – Garrit Anderson

Thanks to the generosity of the Bergami Family and the UNH Division of Student Affairs, eight UNH undergraduate students received a stipend to cover expenses related to their unpaid internship experience.  The eight recipients will be blogging here about their internship experience over the course of the summer. This entry is from Garrit Anderson, Criminal Justice.

I chose my Internship with the Naugatuck Police Department because I reached out in the fall semester and made connections with a detective from the city. I inquired about interning with the police department in the summer. He explained to me that the internship would not be like other internships, such as getting coffee or making copies of paperwork. Instead, I would be actively shadowing police officers and participating in all the daily activities that are within bounds of my safety. This immediately intrigued me, which is the main reason why I chose to intern with the Naugatuck Police Department. The other reason I chose to do my internship with them is because of the location. Most UNH Criminal Justice students go to local police departments to complete their Internship, but I wanted to be different and have a different experience than other students.

Police-badge2

My Internship fits in with my academic studies because it fulfills my internship requirements for my degree in Criminal Justice. I want to intern with the FBI and eventually become a Special Agent, which is why interning with the Naugatuck Police Department will be a great start for my future career opportunities.

While interning, I hope to learn about all the current police technologies. I would also like to learn about prisoner transfer procedures and court assignments. I hope to experience a little bit of everything everyday because I like to experience new things. I hope to gain a lot of knowledge so that my experience with the Naugatuck Police Department will be beneficial.

Be sure to check back next Monday morning to read more about Garrit’s internship experience!